Definition of Specialty Areas
For the purpose of this Board, the following definitions are adopted:
- General Nuclear Medicine Science includes Nuclear Medicine Physics and Instrumentation, Radiopharmaceutical Science, and Radiation Protection.
- Nuclear Medicine Physics and Instrumentation is the branch of Nuclear Medicine Science that deals with diagnostic and therapeutic applications of radionuclides, and equipment associated with their production and use.
- Radiopharmaceutical Science is that branch of Nuclear Medicine Science that deals with the preparation and use of radiopharmaceuticals for use in Nuclear Medicine, and radiolabeled chemicals for investigative studies.
- Radiation Protection is that branch of Nuclear Medicine Science that deals with protective measures for ionizing radiation from radionuclides.
- Molecular Imaging Sciences is the branch of nuclear medicine science that deals with the use of radionuclides and molecular sciences methods in diagnostic, therapeutic, and research applications. Certification in this specialty deals with equipment associated with molecular imaging such as PET, PET/CT, SPECT/CT.